Saturday, November 14, 2009

How We Got Our Van

About four weeks ago, Pastor Rick, (He's a friend of mine) said that I should probably look for a Chevy Astro Mini Van instead of a Buick Le Sabre.  I had been looking for a Buick for about two months, off and on.  They are a very nice car, comfortable ride, and good gas mileage.  I had only been able to find old or expensive ones; not a late model inexpensive one.
I decided to heed Rick’s advice, and the first van I noticed on Craig’s list was a 2000 Chevy Astro.  I went out to see it, and asked the owner, Jason, if I could drive the car for the day in Austin.  He said to go ahead.  I picked up Rick, and we spent the day riding around in a nice, clean, comfortable, and plush minivan.  I took it to the mechanic, and he said it was a good, solid dependable vehicle.  We left the van with the mechanic to change the oil, spark plugs, filters, transmission fluid and to charge the AC.   Rick drove me back to Jason, and I paid him.  The price of the car, (1800) and the parts and repairs, (500) and the registration came to right at 2500.  What a blessing and that was just about all the money we had to spend.
A few days later, while driving our new van, we got a call from Amarillo, Texas.  A family with six children and a seventh on the way wanted to buy a fifteen passenger van.  They couldn’t find any in Amarillo, and noticed that ours close to San Antonio.  I told them all I could about the van, including everything that was wrong with it.  They still wanted it and the husband flew down the next day to pay cash for the van and drive it away.  This was a jaw dropping experience because the van had troubles: oil and transmission leaks, transmission shifting problems, check engine light, tendency to overheat, body damage, cracked windshield, burned out AC compressor, and a few other minor problems, all of which I told the family in Amarillo about…and they still wanted the van.
The purchase of our minivan and the sale of our big van came during the only window in time we had in New Braunfels where we had our van parked.  About two weeks later we came home to Mexico.
Last night, here in Mexico, we attended a coming home party in our honor.  The hostess’s mom, Elizabeth told me that four weeks ago she had a dream where God told her to wake up and pray for “Conrad.”  She had this dream several times during the night.  She woke up her daughter, Betsi, and asked her who “Conrad” was.  Betsi explained to her who Sheryl and I were, and that we were in the United States at that time.  Elizabeth started to pray for the next few days that we would do God’s will on the earth, and not be hindered in doing it.  At her house, Elizabeth shared with us her dream, and also another dream that occurred a few days later where I went to her house with my family, sat down on her couch, and explained what had happened. 
After listening to her story, we compared dates, and I told her, while seated on her couch with my family present, exactly what had happened in our car purchase and sale, and that now I was fulfilling the last part of her dream in listening to her story and explaining how it tied in to our story.  Maria Luisa, also present at the time, shared how on September 4th, about ten days before we bought the van, she had a dream where we bought the green minivan that we have.  She sent an e mail on that date telling us she dreamed about the van we purchased before we purchased it.
I have never bought or sold a car so quickly and thought that you would enjoy this interesting anecdote.

No comments:

Post a Comment